Other important information:
- Angel Rehearsal Schedule
- General Information
- Order of Show
- Costume Information
- Volunteer Committees
- Photo Session
- Booster Ad Information
- DVD Information
Saturday, September 10th: Auditions for Ballet 5B through Int/Advanced
Parents of auditioning Enrichment and Company members, are required to attend a general information/orientation meeting scheduled during your child’s audition.
11-12pm – Parents of 5b group entering Enrichment
12:45-1:45pm – Parents of 6a, 6b and Int/Adv entering Company.
Sunday, September 11th: Auditions for Ballet 1 through 5A
- 11:00-11:50 – Ballet 1
- 12:00-12:50 – Ballet 2
- 1:00- 2:15 – Ballet 3
- 2:45-4:30 – Ballet 4A/4B
- 4:45-6:00 – Ballet 5A
- Auditions are conducted by Ms. Frances, Ms. Ginna and Mr. Ted. Dancers are evaluated based on dance technique and performance ability.
- Some dancers may be disappointed in the role they are given. This is the time when the support of our parents is essential. All parts are equally important to our production.
- All casting is final and subject to the discretion of the artistic directors. Parents can make an appointment (3 days after the cast list has been posted) during office hours to speak with our staff concerning their child.
Performance fees ($175 for Angels and $200 for all other roles) are due before your child’s audition and can be done online for NEAD registered students. Go to your account on the NEAD webpage to register and pay for the Nutcracker Fee. A volunteer commitment is due at the time of registration. The students name will not appear on the cast list until payment has been received.
Nutcracker Casting will be posted Thursday, September 15th
Nutcracker Rehearsals start Saturday, September 17th
General Rehearsal Information
- All dancers are expected to attend all rehearsals and performances. If a child misses more than three rehearsals they may be replaced in the performance. In case of illness or extraordinary family conflict, please call the NEAD office at 972-3265 or email us at email@example.com.
- Rehearsal schedules and tech week schedules are posted on the website.
- The Rehearsal Schedule will change frequently. You are responsible for checking the updated schedule. Updated schedules will be sent out via email the week prior and posted on the website by Thursday at 12N.
- Please be certain that your dancer arrives with sufficient time to change, use the bathroom and be ready to dance. Be certain that your child is safely inside the building before you leave. Rehearsals will end at the stated time and children are to be picked up promptly.
- Please park only in designated areas and come and go as quickly as possible. Our neighbors will appreciate your cooperation.
- All dancers should arrive for rehearsal in dance attire with hair in a ballet bun. If a rehearsal will be a long one, please provide your child with a healthy snack and water for break time.
- Only dancers, choreographers and rehearsal assistants are permitted in studios during rehearsals.
- All dancers will be expected to come to rehearsal in the evening during the final week at New Canaan High School.
- The best way to communicate is via email. Please be sure we have your email address. If you need to contact us, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you need to reach a director, please email Ginna Ortiz or Frances Ortiz.
Order of Show
Scene 1: Party Scene: Party Scene Parents, Children, Little Clara & Dolls
Scene 2: Battle Scene: Mice and Soldiers, Night Fairy & Little Clara
Scene 3: Big Clara and The Nutcracker Prince
Scene 4: Snow: Snow Queen & Angels
15 minute intermission
Scene 1: Waltz of the Flowers & Angels
Scene 2: Land of the Sweets
Scene 3: Spanish and Senoritas
Scene 4: Chinese
Scene 5: Candy Canes
Scene 6: Arabian and Odalisques
Scene 7: Mother Ginger and Ginger Cookies
Scene 8: Flute
Scene 9 Grand pas de deux with bon bons
Scene 10: Finale and Bows
- All Costumes will be collected in the theater after our last performance, unless otherwise noted. Please plan accordingly and bring a change of clothes to wear home. Any late returns may incur a fine.
- Dancers must take good care of all costumes and accessories. They should immediately be hung up. Any damage may incur a fine to be determined based on extent of damage.
- Be sure to put the dancer’s name on masking tape and put it on all costume pieces. Tape should remain in costume when you return it so that we know to mark your name off our list.
- All dancers are expected to have clean pink tights with no holes or rips and clean pink ballet slippers or Pointe shoes, unless otherwise noted.
- All costumes and accessories will be made available for picture day.
- All NEDT company members are required to wear eyelashes in all performances. Also “Snow Earrings” will be required for major roles. Please advise costume mistress if you do not have pierced ears. ALL NEDT company members must bring a nude leotard that can be worn under costumes to all performances including lecture demonstrations. Hair will be decided by costume mistress.
Nutcracker is a huge production and can not happen without help from our parents. We require a volunteer commitment. Our production isn’t possible without a significant contribution from our parents! If you have any questions, please contact Nikki Mitchell at email@example.com
The following committees are available to sign up for:
Publicity: Develop and distribute information about the performance throughout the local communities. Newspapers, TV, Schools, Businesses, Organizations
Booster Ads: Collect and layout booster ads for the performance program.
Business Ads: Solicit businesses in the community regarding ad space in the performance program
Costumes: Assist costume mistress to collect and organize costumes after the final performance.
Stage transportation and set up: Transport stage sets, backdrops and stage props to and from the theater and lay down Marley floor. Scheduled in the evening a day or two before dress rehearsal. A great opportunity for fathers to volunteer!
Nutcracker 2016 Committee Chairs:
Poster Distribution: Kate Licata
Tickets: Meg Joyce and Anne Marie Davis
Program: Denise Brereton and Mary Flaherty-Lovy
Decoration: Jill Stute and Kelly McGinn
Concession: Lisa Carpenter and Diana Knoblauch
Boutique: Ilinca Creveling and Anne Wagner
Flowers: Martha Caron and Janine Knauf
Hair and Make-up: Rebecca Cavenagh and Marie Scanlan
Ushers: Nancy Harte and John Davis
Backstage Catering: Catherine Graham
Backstage Chaperone: Denise Agard and Kate Munno
Tea Party: Kristen Grzymski
Volunteer Coordinator: Nikki Mitchell
- Photography session will take place at the NCHS theatre Saturday, December 3 and Sunday, December 4 around the time of the performances.
- Pictures must not interfere with your performance time.
|Saturday & Sunday December 3-4|
|Pictures are scheduled on a first come, first serve basis.|
Please check back online on Thursday, September 17th. We will post casting after 7:30pm. Remember, if you have outstanding tuition or registration fees, no role will be posted for your child.
Booster Ad Information
Nutcracker is a special event in your dancer’s experience. It is wonderful to watch the progress from year to year. Show how much you appreciate all of the hard work! Purchase a booster ad for the Nutcracker Program… It’s easy and a super souvenir for your child! The deadline for submitting a Booster Ad is October 28th. No late ads can be accepted.
The ad size and price breakdown is as follows:
|Quarter Page (5″x 2″)||$50|
|Half Page (5″x 4″)||$95|
|Full Page (5″x 8″)||$175|
- Order your 2016 Nutcracker DVD to commemorate your dancer’s efforts.
- Filmed and edited by NEAD Staff.
- Multiple angles and crisp digital quality.
- $45/copy, does not include shipping.
- Only one night’s performance will be featured on the DVD at the discretion of the NEDT directors.
- Questions? Contact the office at NEADinfo@aol.com or (203) 972-3265